The Forbes Coaches Council recommends 11 assessments every executive should take, including the Energy Leadership™ Index (ELI) assessment which is number three on their list. Today, I want to tell you about ELI, why I believe so strongly in it and how you can tell if it’s right for you.
What is the Energy Leadership Index assessment?
The ELI assessment is an attitudinal assessment tool that captures how you currently perceive and approach work and life. It’s not about your strengths, weaknesses or personality traits. It uncovers how you show up to the world—under normal circumstances and when you’re under stress. The assessment includes a 20-minute questionnaire and a one-hour debrief session with me, an iPEC Certified Coach and Master Practitioner.
It shows us the kind of energy you’re giving off: catabolic or anabolic. Catabolic energy is negative and destructive while anabolic is positive and constructive. The assessment quantifies your energy as a number between one and seven, called the E-Factor; higher E-Factors are associated with more success.
Now here’s the great news: you can change your score—and therefore your likelihood of success—because this is an attitudinal assessment. And your attitude is always up to you.
The 7 levels of energy leadership
Why I believe so strongly in the ELI assessment
As an executive coach, I work with clients who want to change their professional or personal lives (or both) for the better. Generally, we work together for three to 12-months at a time. The ELI assessment helps me get to know my clients quickly which means I can be a better coach. I love this assessment because it works. Clients often ask during our assessment debrief, “How did you know that about me?” I smile and reply, “I know it because that’s what you told me with the assessment!” And, yes, I’ve done the assessment too. It’s had a remarkable impact on my life which is why I love sharing this powerful experience with my clients.
4 benefits you get from the ELI assessment:
- A deeper understanding of yourself including what you’ve hidden, what’s blocking you from success and what you’ve got going for you.
- Awareness of your tendencies during normal and stressful times.
- Insight into how to become your authentic self as a leader at work and home.
- Less stress! The ELI shows you what’s stressing you and how to take that weight off your shoulders.
If you’ve already done a slew of psychometric testing throughout your career, you may wonder if doing one more will really make a difference. I can’t answer that for you, but I can show you some signs that indicate you’re ready to learn how you show up in this world, personally and professionally.
Three signs the Energy Leadership Index assessment is right for you:
- You’re a “fixer” – Does everyone come to you with their problems? Many executives are fixers but if too many people dump their problems on you—and you don’t have a way to expel that energy—it bogs you down.
- You wonder if stress management needs to be so difficult – It really doesn’t. The ELI helps you identify and stop your stress triggers. Again, the simplicity and effectiveness are why I love it!
- You’re nervous to see how you show up – Feel the fear and do it anyway! This assessment helps you gain the clarity on where you are and where you want to be. This can be the first step to the positive change you’re seeking.
Hi, I’m Vicki Bradley, an executive coach in Toronto and the Founder and CEO of Women in Leadership Empowered.
I work with women pursuing success in executive leadership roles and the presidents and CEOs who understand that strong businesses are built with strong, diverse leadership.
WIL Empowered is a year-long program where we use all four aspects of leadership development: Coaching, Networking, Peer to peer mentorship and skills development. Our mission is to help women develop the skills, motivation and accountability required to succeed in their business and personal lives.
Take our five-minute leadership quiz to discover where your leadership skills are now and where you’d like them to be this time next year.
To discover more about the WIL Empowered program, visit the website.
- Energy Leadership: Transforming Your Workplace and Your Life from the Core, by Bruce D. Schneider
- Forbes.com: 11 Assessments Every Executive Should Take